The staff at Doorways embraces the following philosophies when it comes to caring for our clients:
- Adolescents and young adults are uniquely important and of invaluable worth.
- Commitment and communication between staff, clients, and family will help move the healing process forward.
- Relationships between client and staff, staff and families as well as staff to staff involve integrity, honesty, kindness and professionalism. Gossip and cynicism about a clients’ pain or illness will not be tolerated.
- The staff at Doorways fosters an environment of emotional safety for staff, clients, and families.
- A collaborative team approach between Doorways’ staff and with community providers fosters the best in overall client and family care.
- A strong referral base within the Phoenix mental health community is a vital asset in assuring the clients’ needs are met in adjunctive care.
- An experienced, professional staff assures competence in adolescent treatment, education, and information resources.
- Adhering to appointment start and stop times, returning client phone calls as quickly as possible, and being responsive to client questions in a respectful manner is an expected practice for Doorways staff.
- Our senior leadership is committed to private and corporate prayer for clients and their families.
- Milestones are celebrated! The staff at Doorways is committed to building community through laughter and fun with one another and with clients, when appropriate. Fostering an environment in which everyone feels welcomed and cared for while in the office is crucial to the healing process.
- Involvement with the underserved through pro-bono services through Mercy Minds, an alliance of mental health care providers.
What is the difference between “faith based” and “Christian” counseling?
At Doorways, we believe that shared faith and beliefs can provide a foundation for the connection and rapport that can make all the difference in managing mental health. Additionally, adolescence is one of the first times in life that people begin to question the beliefs that were handed down to them from their parents in an effort to establish themselves as a separate being. Religious beliefs are one of these handed down belief systems that may be called into question and having a counselor to talk to who understands those beliefs can make this process less tumultuous.
Faith based counseling can also be very beneficial for those families and teens that have a strong religious belief and practice. For these families, their beliefs are foundational to who they are and how their children are raised and it is critical to have a mental health practitioner who understands not only their faith but how integral that faith is to who they are and how they were raised. Families and teens can seek the mental health services they need without feeling as though they need to disregard or defend their beliefs.
Faith based counseling programs and counselors approach treatment holistically and look to integrate the mental, relational, emotional, and spiritual aspects of care to help the whole person. Faith-based mental health practitioners may combine faith, spirituality, and theological concepts into the traditional therapeutic process. This approach to mental health management embodies the ideal that treatment works best when faith and modern science combine to treat the whole person.
If you feel this is the best approach for your family, make sure you look for faith based practitioners who also meet these two qualifications: they need to be a licensed mental health practitioner and specialize in working with children, teens, and families. Mental health problems can be very serious and it is crucial that the person you trust with your adolescent’s well-being is trained in treating mental health issues from a professional and educated perspective.
- How is faith based applied at Doorways? At Doorways, we believe that God is real and that it is Gods’ desire for humankind to be whole and well. We believe that God is at work in all people and can provide comfort and healing. Most of the providers at Doorways have a faith perspective based on the life and teachings of Jesus. If you follow Jesus, this should be in line with your spiritual understanding and we will honor your faith commitment throughout the process of treatment. If you are of another faith tradition or none at all, we commit to respect your individual understanding and desires without pressuring you to believe a certain way.
- Do you talk about God, pray or read the Bible in your sessions? No, we do not though if requested by the patient this is possible.
- What if I’m Jewish or Muslim or Agnostic? Am I going to feel uncomfortable because I am not from the Christian tradition? We respect all faiths. Your religion will only be discussed as much as you desire. Everyone is welcome at Doorways regardless of beliefs, religion or choices. We accept people as they are, where they are and do not bring up discussions about spirituality unless it is initiated by the patient.
- So what’s the benefit of a faith-based provider? The staff at Doorways believes that God is the healer of all of us and with that in mind, we commit ourselves to allowing God to work in our lives to help our patients.
- I smoke, drink, take drugs, swear, etc. Are you going to judge me? You can come as you are to Doorways. We are here to help people and not judge. That is not our job. Our job is to help.
If you feel that our philosophy of faith-based counseling is right for you, we invite you to call us at 602-997-2880.